Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Perth & Kinross Leisure welcomes carers

Heads up to anyone in P & K who is a carer and who longs to get back to the gym or join in with "normal" life again - and who simply can't afford the membership fees anymore...

Last year, I spoke to our local leisure centre, about extending discounted memberships to non-qualifying carers like me. Because I work (sort of), I don't qualify for a Carer's Allowance. And because it would be inappropriate to drag Mum to the gym with me on a two for one deal, I also don't qualify. But I'm still a full-time carer and I desperately need some stress-busting time. I bike a lot, usually round to Mum's, because that's free and a) it's good for my bottom and b) I can't answer the phone on my bike. But living in Scotland, there are the odd days, of hail, sleat, wind and rain - and that's just in the summer. Nay, I jest - but sometimes the wind defeats me and it makes biking a Bad Thing. Which is when it would be lovely to nip down to the gym.

Anyway in October, the Leisure Centre reviewed and said no, but they promised to put it on the agenda for the AGM in April. Last month I wrote a gentle reminder - and true to their word, I received an e-mail yesterday to say that discounted memberships for carers had been approved and would be available from 1 July 2008. The criteria by which you apply for membership have yet to be agreed so it's not done and dusted yet but it's good news and I hope others too will be able to take advantage.

So faites attention mes enfants: look out for press, posters in June - scrunch and crunch, pecs, abs and buns to the ready!

4 comments:

Ruthie said...

Thank you for stopping by. I'm encouraged to see your blog and others. I'm going to be needing support, as I guess we all are. I could SO relate to the hairdresser post -- I took my mom a week or so ago. She fought me tooth and nail to get there (was downright hostile!) but now loves her new, short "do" !

I will try to read back through your posts.

Tilly said...

Welcome Ruthie Tx

Maz said...

Well done you re: the Gym reduced prices.
Keep up the good work!

maz x

Tilly said...

Thanks Maz! It would be lovely to think that some others might be able to benefit too - though, heaven knows, I know it's not easy to carve out the time...Tx