Tuesday, September 27, 2005

New York & back

New York was wonderful. Blue skies and sunny - while Katrina threatens Galveston and ravages Louisiana and the levees of the Big Easy. The long wind of cars out of Texan coastal ports takes on Biblical proportions. Meanwhile I get my $2 ride on the Central Park carousel! As good a bargain as a night ride on Star Ferry in Hong Kong. Now Starbucked and topped up with Tylenol, I am back with the beat, Baggy.

First night back, and I managed to collect someone else's luggage from the airport! In how many years of travelling? How dumb can you be? I really don't want a Day-Glo suitcase but...On the bus to the hotel, I look at the case and say to the bus driver: "That's not my case"! He must have heard it a hundred times before. "Well, it's the one that you got on board with". Oh Lord. It belongs to someone in Nottingham & feels incredibly heavy. Hope it's not got her wedding dress. Fling other bags at kindly concierge, jump back on the bus to the airport - but the bird has flown. So too, have all the airline's last flights.

Corner friendly PC who offers to arrest me, but only after we retrieve my bag. PC takes pity and we dash along back corridors to sort out muddle of cases. I am reunited with mine, the airline promises to deliver to Nottingham, and all is well.

Back out again to the Hoppas and finally back to the hotel. Fly home the next day, drop bags, out again to see Mum. Thankfully, she doesn't look too dishevelled at all though she is still wearing the same clothes that I helped her dress in last week. But with bright pink night socks. They look like two enormous and oddly luminescent pink pigs.

It's wonderful to see the SBs.

No comments: